Monday, March 28, 2011

Time to move on?...


I have had a job since I was 16.  I started working at a company my uncle worked at...Future Vision. It was actually pretty easy and I ended up staying there for about 9 years.  I had graduated from college and was looking for something else where I could go into what I actually wanted to do.  I randomly found an ad in the paper for a residential treatment center in Draper.  It was called Youth Care and I was really nervous to do something else but at the same time I was excited and ready for a change.  I went in for an interview and it turned out the supervisor that was supposed to do my interview was out sick that day and I interviewed with a different supervisor who was Samoan.  I feel like fate intervened that day and I was able to get the job because of who I interviewed with.  That was in 2008,  I stayed at my other job part time and went full time with Youth Care.  I was working 7 days a week and it was definitely draining me.  I ended up quitting at Future Vision after about 7 or 8 months.  It was sad to leave after 9 years but I knew it was well overdue.  Working at Youth Care has definitely been one of the biggest blessings in my life.  I have been able to work with kids who need help who are going through struggles in their life and I actually felt like I was making a difference... no matter how small it was I was helping.  But... after 3 years there, my job announced last week that with the economy and everything going the way it is we will be moving up to Syracuse, which is west of Ogden and about an hour away.  Our parent company has property up there along with two other facilities on the same campus and we will be moving into an empty building on the campus.  I understand that it makes sense financially for the company but it is has been just bad news all around at work and you can really feel it in the atmosphere that people are worried and upset.  For most people like me the drive isn't worth the pay with the cost of gas going up and up there would be no way financially to make it worth it... unless they gave us all raises... which is wishful thinking.  They are supposed to be making the move June 15th but depending on what they need to still do to get ready it will be at the latest Aug 15th.  I am supposed to be taking my maternity leave in April, I'm due the 17th but I was gonna try to work up until I am ready to have the baby.  So that leaves me out on maternity while the whole transition at my work is going to happen.  I have 12 weeks of maternity leave and I am supposed to come back in July. 
For the first time in almost 11 years I might not have a job.  For the first time I don't feel stable, like I'm not really sure what I am going to, if I wasn't pregnant I would just start looking for another job and probably be okay with finding one.  But with me being pregnant and about to have this baby I'm at a loss and worried about what will happen with my family.  It is a big decision to have to make, do I stay, do I just have my baby, take my maternity, severance, and hope for a new job before I have to take unemployment.  Then I am also worried about insurance because we get it through my work and we need insurance especially for the baby.  It's just so much to think about and worry about i don't really know what to do.  Hopefully things will all work out and I have faith that it will I am just really stressed over everything and it all couldn't have happened at a worse time.  But I know the lord gives us trials and he doesn't give us anything we cannot handle, so I know we will make it through this and be okay as long as we keep doing what is right and do our best.  In the mean time I am going to just get ready for this baby and worry about her and what we are doing with her.  I have been so blessed with everything in my life and she is going to be one of our biggest blessings and I cannot wait for her to get here!

2 comments:

  1. Concerning a job! You are talented & I am sure that you will get another job. Possibly with better pay. As for the Insurance let me tell you what happened to me. I was in-between jobs and my wife was 8 months pregnant. At that point my wife still was working so she still had insurance. but her insurance for family was outrageous. We looked into getting myself & my 2 kids on their own insurance and it turned out to be cheaper that I was paying through my company and the insurance seemed to be better for us also. So I would look int getting your child onto an individual plan. As I said with us it turned out that the insurance turned out to be less that I was paying out of pocket when I was with my old company. And once I did get the new job I still kept my kids on their own individual plan because it was still cheaper than my new insurance from the new job. Either way I am sure you will work it out.
    Good Luck
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. its okay sissy.. everything will work out.. just focus on getting olive to get outta there already hahahaha. im so excited for her! youre gonna be a really good mommy. :) but yeah ive been asking around about jobs for you so no worries sissy im sure well find something for you.. also, if duck is serious about maybe getting a better job or another job.. has he thought about finding a job that pays extra for being bilingual? i know eni works at like a law firm doing something with speaking spanish.. possibly translating.. i can ask..

    ReplyDelete